Regione Toscana
Provincia di Lucca
Fondazione Banca del Monte di Lucca
Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Lucca

Fortezza delle Verrucole

La Fortezza delle Verrucole si allunga, bella e imponente, in direzione nord est-sud ovest, sul colle che sovrasta il paese di San Romano Garfagnana alle porte del parco naturale dell'Orecchiella. Visitando la fortezza, si possono ammirare i resti del torrione poligonale, un recinto di mura che lo delimita, resti di varie strutture, una galleria conducente alla casamatta sotterranea, la possente cinta muraria e due bastioni, uno a punta acuta, l'altro a punta tonda.
In corrispondenza delle porzioni morfologicamente pių basse della cortina sono situate due torri semicircolari e due porte, di cui quella situata nel lato orientale č tamponata. L'Archivio di Stato di Modena conserva bellissime raffigurazioni della fortezza e di parti di essa, oltre al progetto redatto dall'architetto M.A. Pasi per conto degli Estensi e alla pianta del capitano Costa del 1796.
Bibliografia: - De Angeli N., La Fortezza delle Verrucole, Viareggio, Pezzini Editore, 1998
- Biagioni P.L., Due architetti estensi in Garfagnana e in Emilia, Lucca 1984
- Ghilarducci G., Carte del secolo XI, dal 1018 al 1031, Lucca 1990
- Raffaelli R., Descrizione Geografica Storica Economica della Garfagnana, Lucca, 1879
Comprensorio: Garfagnana
Comune: S. Romano di Garfagnana, locality Verrucole
Prime notizie: 1027
Notizie storiche: Since the Middle Ages the territory controlled by the fortress of Verrucole was contended between the government of Lucca and local noble families like the Gherardinghi; this gave rise to fierce territorial conflicts, extended to the neighbouring Communes of Pisa and Florence. And it was with Pisa that the Gherardinghi, Lords of Verrucole, Vibbiana, Mestiane, San Romano, Naggio, Boglio and Petrognano, formed an alliance against the expansionism of Lucca in Garfagnana. Defeated by Lucca in 1170, the Gherardinghi gradually lost their power and sold most of their lands. So the fortress of Verrucole passed into the hands of the Guidiccioni; then, in the middle of the XIVth century, into in those of Spinetta Malaspina and finally, in 1446, became property of the Dukes of Este. Works of extension and changes to the original round rocca, that had probably stood on the hill since the XIth century, began under the Dukes of Este: the space between the original 'dovetail' Ghibelline merlons was filled in and the tower raised; meanwhile the hill was surrounded by strong walls and equipped with rooms for storing arms and an underground casemate.
During the French invasion, in the XVIIIth century, Garfagnana returned under Lucca and as a consequence Verrucole was dismantled and condemned to a fate of relentless decay, like so many medieval fortresses in the area.
Stato di conservazione: The Municipality of San Romano bought the fortress from "Bresciani & Co." in 1986 for 15 mill. ITL.. The surviving structures are in good condition thanks to works of consolidation promoted by the Municipality at the beginning of 1990. Archaeological excavations are now under way with the aim of gathering further information about the single buildings.
In 1998 architect Gianclaudio Papasogli Tacca commissioned a project for the reuse of the rocca. The project is now being examined by the Monuments and Fine Arts Office.
Tipologia: Fortezza,sec. XV-XVI
Orari: The fortress is public property and open to visitors
Viabilità: From Castelnuovo Garfagnana follow the signposts for San Romano in Garfagnana. Once there, drive through the village and take the road on your right up towards Verrucole. Park your car on the square in front of the church and continue on foot.
Codice Audioguida: 274
chiusura