Santa Maria Assunta
Foundation: XIII century
The medieval church of Santa Maria Assunta is situated in the historic town centre of Camaiore. In spite of transformations in modern times, the building can be rightly considered a significant example of XIII century church architecture. Of particular interest are some decorative elements, such as the big rose window
on the façade and the XVI century fittings preserved inside.
The oldest part of the church is the bell tower, datable to the first half of the XII century. In the 1170's the structure with a Latin cross plan
was built, together with the façade that has two entrances and a central rose window
. In 1350 the bell tower was raised, as we know from a stone plate at the base, while in 1448, when the whole building was enlarged, a dome was constructed at the centre of the presbyterial area. The church was heavily damaged during an earthquake in 1536; later, the entire building was covered with thick plaster. In the eighteenth century the apse end
, the side chapels and the dome were reconstructed; four large windows were also opened along the nave