Photogallery
Where it is

Map of the places of the Province of Lucca   icona

Sacrum Luce
Links
Do you like this site?
church

San Gennaro


typology: Parish church
Area: Piana di Lucca
District/Locality: Capannori, locality S. Gennaro
Foundation: IX century A.D.

The parish church of San Gennaro is at the centre of the homonymous village that developed during the Middle Ages around the church. The building is one of the best examples of Romanesque architecture in the area around Lucca. Usually, parish churches that were at the head of large districts were built on previous religious buildings. The church of San Gennaro is richly decorated and for this reason differs from most Lucchese churches.
Historycal news

The complete reconstruction of the church, during the XII century, on the site of an older religious building and its geographical position on the border between the plain of Lucca and Valdinievole, were particularly favourable for the growth of a village around it in the Middle Ages.
The church has preserved its medieval structure with three aisles and its original decoration, with the exception of the apse end that was considerably readjusted in the XVIII century. The decorated capitals of the inner colonnade, the marble pulpit dating back to 1162 and the richly adorned fa├žade are of particular interest.
In the XVIII century the apse area of the church was reconstructed and the medieval side doors were replaced. The bell tower to the north of the church was built in 1840, according to an inscription on the wall.

Hai trovato l'informazione utile?

Si Forse No
chiusura