Where it is

Map of the places of the Province of Lucca   icona

Do you like this site?

Ruins of the bridge of Bacciano

Area: Garfagnana
District/Locality: San Romano
Dating: 14th century

Nearby the rocky spur of "Castellaccio" (old and broken-down castle), site of the Castle of the Lords of Bacciano, are still visible the remains of a bridge which spanned the Serchio River in a strategic area of Garfagnana. The earliest documents on the bridge, which definitely collapsed at the beginning of the 17th century, date back to 1345.
A small arch and a pier with cutwaters are the only remains of the bridge. It was built in carefully squared ashlars, whose excellent execution testifies to the bridge crucial importance.
The Lords of Bacciano, ruling over the castle and the bridge, belonged to a small local seigniory tracing back to 1065.
Nearby the bridge, an amazing upward view of the large railway bridge of Villetta may be enjoyed.
How to reach

by car:From Lucca, take the road to Castelnuovo Garfagnana. From Castelnuovo follow the provincial road to San Romano. At Villetta, join the road to Bacciano. Before reaching the station, turn right and follow the road to the river. Ask villagers for directions to the "Castellaccio" (there are no signposts).

Hai trovato l'informazione utile?

Si Forse No