Area: Piana di Lucca
District/Locality: The building are a private property and cannot be visited inside.
Building dating: 1907-1914
The two small villas are very similar.
In both villas, as in most buildings from this period in Lucca, their characterising motifs are to be found more in their decorative solutions than in their plan volumetric ones which echo traditional classical schemas.
The most important factor is the ornamental resolving of the main façade. Its vertical axis is the main door which is surmounted by a terrace which the corresponding French doors open onto. Everything is characterised by dragon heads which are placed there like silent guardians to frighten off unexpected guests.
The terrace railings also have a sublime design which forms a peacock tail motif.
The small villa which is on the corner of via San Marco and which has a main façade framed by two pilasters crowned with the head of Minerva, is the more interesting of the two.
The building are a private property and cannot be visited inside.
The little villas were designed by Gaetano Orzali (Lucca 1873-Genova 1954), a protagonist of the Liberty style in Lucca, who was also the architect of the Villino Malerbi now Dinelli
Between the time of their construction and the present day, there have been neither significant changes to the external appearance of the little villas nor significant modifications to their interior. Therefore, they still appear the same today as they did when they were designed.
(text by Lorenza Caprotti - Centro Studi Cultura Liberty e Déco
How to reach
by car: A11 motorway exit "Lucca Centro". Follow the signs for the town centre until you reach the ring road along the walls. Turn left in Viale Carducci and continue along the ring road. After passing Piazzale Martiri della Libertà turn left in Via Civitali where you will find the villa at number 369 and 393.
- Archivio Storico del Comune di Lucca
- G. Bedini, L'arredo urbano e i villini di Lucca, in M.A. Giusti (a cura di), Le età del Liberty in Toscana, Atti del Convegno di Studi, Firenze 1995
- N. Nicoletti, Le residenze fuori dalle mura, in Il Museo per conoscere. Esperienze e proposte , a cura della Soprintendenza B.A.A.A.S. delle province di Pisa, Lucca, Massa Carrara, Livorno, Sezione Didattica dei Musei Nazionali di Lucca, anno II, n.3-4, Maria Pacini Fazzi Editore, Lucca 1995
- N. Nicoletti, I protagonisti: la famiglia Orzali, in Il Museo per conoscere. Esperienze e proposte , a cura della Soprintendenza B.A.A.A.S. delle province di Pisa, Lucca, Massa Carrara, Livorno, Sezione Didattica dei Musei Nazionali di Lucca, anno II, n.3-4, Maria Pacini Fazzi Editore, Lucca 1995
- Fondazione Ragghianti, Lucca